Perham Odyssey

Monday, May 02, 2005

Zoom zoom.

After a pleasant 5 days with John and Rita, we left this morning and drove over to Leeds, a nearby town a few miles east of Birmingham. The Barber Motorsports Complex is located there, consisting of a race track for every kind of racing except NASCAR and an excellent museum devoted almost exclusively to motorcycles. There are five levels in the building with displays from the earliest bicycles that had small gas motors attached to them all the way up to today’s technological marvels from all over the world. If you are a two wheel nut then this is a must see.

Back in the mid 1960’s, I owned a Honda Hawk, a 305cc Japanese motorcycle. You might not believe this but as I entered the front door of the museum, the very first bike that met my eyes was…. yep, a Honda Hawk. Of the several hundred bikes in the place, the one and only type of bike that I ever owned was the first one I saw. Talk about a coincidence. Weird.

After leaving the museum, we then drove over to Atlanta, Georgia, and went to the “Coca-Cola Experience”, where we were allowed to pay 8 dollars to tour a three floor infomercial for Coke. They should have paid us. Well, at least we were able to drink our fill of no less than 40 different Coke products from all over the world. Obviously I didn’t leave until I felt I had my 8 dollars worth. Now listen up: If any of you dear readers ever get a chance to go there, be sure to try the “Beverly” drink from Italy. Then you too can say that you’ve had a drink of the most God-awful concoction that someone ever had the gall to charge money for.

A late afternoon walk through “Underground Atlanta”, nothing more than an underground shopping mall, brought the tourist activities to an end. We then drove to Macon for the night. More photo’s in the gallery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home