In the beginning.....
At
The writings that follow will comprise my attempt to document some of what happens during this journey. Now don't worry, I'm not going to detail every little thing that happens every day. I'll try to limit myself to just relating some of the more interesting, amusing, weird, or thought provoking events that occur.
I've tried linking pictures into these writings but so far haven't had any luck. So, to see photographs that somewhat accompany the story line, plus others of events that I don't write about, you'll have to navigate separately to our picture gallery at the link titled "Photo Gallery" near the top of this page. Click on any individual picture to see a larger version.
I plan to update this saga at least once a week, if not more often. So, if you want to keep up with what is going on with us, just bookmark this website and then check back whenever you get a moment. The new additions to the story will be at the bottom of the page so just scroll down and there you are. Of course, it'll be up to you to remember where we were in the story the last time you visited so you will know where the new stuff begins.
So, if you are ready then sit back, get comfy and enjoy the trip.
In the beginning.
The idea for this journey came into being sometime during the summer of 2004. Margaret decided that she was getting just a little jealous of Jim who had been retired for almost five years while she was still working. Since the spring of 2005 would find her turning 62, she decided that the time had come to consider her own retirement. So, the decision was made. At some point during one of our discussions about what to do during retirement, we somehow came to the decision to move out of
So, we’ve rented out our house, put almost all our possessions in storage and have hit the road to travel around the country for a yet-to-be-determined amount of time. We plan to move to various areas of the country, rent apartments in those areas and spend several months living there. We’ll take day trips and short extended trips around the areas, playing tourist and otherwise do all we can to get to know the areas well before moving on to another part of the country... like Gypsies, frequently on the move. At some point in time, when we decide we’ve had enough, we hopefully will have decided where we want to settle down. Just based on what we already know, various areas of the country would seem to offer various benefits... and detriments. Therefore, with any luck, this adventure will help make that decision.
Phase one. Getting out of town.
Steppin’ out.
Every journey begins with the first step and for us that involved getting out of
Joining the army.
Another of the goals is to downsize our housing. With just the two of us now, we no longer need four bedroom/three bath houses nor all the “stuff” needed to fill up such housing. And it’s absolutely amazing how much stuff people can accumulate over 33 years. Clothing, books, kids school projects, tools, sporting equipment, electronic devices (both working and non-working), wall decorations, knick knacks of every description, and on and on and on had to be gone through to decide what to keep and what to get rid of. And as you can probably imagine, although some things were easy to get rid of, there were some pretty serious internal debates about items that had any deep emotional attachments. We especially agonized over many items that had any kind of connection with the early years of our two sons. But, we finally realized that it was the memories that were most important whereas such things as the remains of a high school science project were not. The end result of this process found us getting to know the people at the local Salvation Army donation station almost on a first name basis. I lost track of how many trips we made to unload carloads of items that we donated to them. But, in the end, we knew that it had to be done.
What was I thinking?
The move to
Size. Yes, it really does matter.
When doing something like this move, you don’t go out and rent just any truck. They come in various sizes and prices and if you get one that is too small, you can’t get all your stuff into it whereas if it’s too large, you waste money. So, the first thing to do was to determine just how big of a truck we needed. A list of all the furniture was made and then a visit to each item with a tape measure produced a list of sizes that was then converted into how much square footage each item occupied. Playing with this list to determine what could be stacked on top of what then produced a list that gave me a pretty good idea of the size of the truck that would be needed. A perusal on the internet of the available trucks at the various rental agencies and the associated prices resulted in the selection of a 25 foot truck from the Penske Company. So far, so good... a “Piece of cake” at this point in time. Oh how naive I was.
One thing that I soon realized was that I had somehow forgotten to include the boxes of stuff that hadn’t joined the Salvation Army into the truck size calculations … and there wasn’t a truck big enough to get everything in, short of renting a semi-trailer rig. And that wasn’t going to happen. So, how to get everything to
Now the fun really begins.
Returning to
Truckin’… with care.
Driving a big truck like that is definitely an experience. The cargo compartment was 25 feet long and the cab/engine compartment added about another 7 or so feet, making the entire length around 32 feet. It was also around 8 feet wide. Having never driven something that big before, I was just a little nervous for the first day of the trip. We drove rather slowly until I got used to the turning radius, braking efficiency and positioning of the vehicle in the driving lanes so as to not wipe out other vehicles, bridge abutments and encroaching light poles. Once I began to feel comfortable, we finally began to rack up the miles.
Got gas?
One interesting aspect of driving a big truck like that was the fact that it got only around 7 miles to a gallon of diesel fuel. Therefore, I found I had to pay a lot of attention to the gas gauge and the distances between towns. And, as I also found out, not every gas station sells diesel fuel. Therefore, it became more convenient to fill up at the same place the “big boys” do… at truck stops. Now filling up at a truck stop is a rather interesting experience when it comes to using the gas pumps. Because the big rig trucks usually have gas tanks on both sides, when you pull up to a pump, you immediately notice that there is a pump on the drivers side of the truck and another pump on the passengers side. The pump on the driver's side is the master pump and controls both hoses. On my truck, the one and only gas tank was on the passenger side. So, the process became to turn the pumps on by taking the hose off the master pump on the drivers side and laying it on the ground since there was otherwise no place to put it. I then had to walk around to the pump on the other side and utilize that hose to fill the tank. Once finished, I replaced that hose on that pump and then returned to the hose lying on the ground and put it away. Needless to say, if a truck has a gas tank on both sides, then both hoses would be utilized, with the amount of fuel dispensed from both hoses being read out on the master pump. The system makes perfect sense once you think about it but on the first encounter, it seemed rather odd.
Aw, go park it.
Another aspect of driving a truck that big is that you can’t go just anywhere like you can in a car. For instance, parking lots at fast food restaurants can present problems. For sure you can’t go through the drive-thru lane and sometimes, depending on the layout, once in the lot, there isn’t enough room to go out the exit. I found this out the hard way when in a Burger King parking lot. I had to do what seemed like about a 16 point 180 degree turn, carefully avoiding backing into parked cars and small animals, and then exiting out the entrance. I got some funny looks during this process but then who was going to argue with a 32 foot long diesel truck? As a result of these potential problems, I found myself paraphrasing Johnny Cochran during the O.J. Simpson trial; if the truck don’t fit, out the entrance I must exit.
This party ain’t over yet, Pilgrim.
On Friday afternoon, April 8th, three days after leaving
New wheels and Gigabytes.
The hardest part was now finished. Months and months of planning and physical activity were finally over with. But the total process of moving still had some loose ends to tie up... we still had some things to do before leaving
Another somewhat significant purchase needing to be made before leaving town was a laptop computer. I knew pretty much from the beginning that I wasn’t going to be able to use, nor even have room in the car to carry, my desktop computer. So, I ordered a Dell Inspiron 9300 and had it shipped to my brother’s house in
A few more days in

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home