Ever lose your luggage when flying? Whether from Los Angeles to New York or from Sheboygan to Kalamazoo, it’s a simple fact of flight that there is a possibility that your precious BVD’s, will go off on their own separate vacation. And according to airline law, any bags still unclaimed after 90 days can be disposed of. For the past 30 years or so, there’s a very good chance that your unmentionable undies wound up in the small northeastern Alabama town of Scottsboro. Better known by most people for the famous race trial of “The Scottsboro Nine” back in the early 1900’s, today it is the home of the Unclaimed Baggage Center. These fine folks buy unclaimed luggage and cargo containers from the airlines, sight unseen, and roll the dice that they will contain something other than your smelly socks which they can sell to recoup their investment. The bags are opened and anything of value is sent to their showroom. And things of value they do find. Money, jewelry, electronic media devices, clothing (duh), books, sporting goods, computers, cameras, watches… the list goes on and on.
Brother John had heard about the place many years ago and had always wanted to go there so off we went. After about a two hour drive through the rolling hills of a lower portion of the Appalachians, we arrived. Right away I knew that this was no mom and pop operation. The place is huge, spread out over an entire city block with parking for not only cars but also the many buses that disgorge hordes of people who come there on day trips. We were there on a Friday so the mass of Misters and Mrs. with their Munchkins in tow wasn’t too large but it’s my understanding that on the weekends the place is a zoo.
Although John and Margaret made some purchases that were good deals, I came close to having a different experience. As is so often the case when going to garage sales, flea markets or places like the Unclaimed Baggage Center, you have to know the value of things. I’ve been thinking about getting a new digital camera so when I saw a really nice one, I though about buying it. But then something told me that I might want to think twice. They had a really nice Olympus which new sells new for around $2000 for which they were asking $800. I thought about it and then decided that, bargain though it seemed to be, it was just a little more than I wanted to spend. Good call, gut. After returning to John’s house that evening, I went on EBAY and saw the same camera selling in the range of $160 to $400. So, the old Latin admonition of “Caveat Emptor” is still true to this day; “Let the buyer beware”.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home