Mama Mia, that’s mighty fine Hairspray
First up was Hairspray, winner of 8 Tony awards. If you don’t know, it’s about a teenage girl in 1964 who wants to get on an “American Bandstand” type show in
Next was Mama Mia. The show was written backwards from the way shows are normally produced. The normal method has the music written last to support a previously developed storyline. Mama Mia reversed this process by writing a story to support the already existing music – in this case, by the Swedish rock group ABBA. This is a much harder method because in any show, the story is paramount with the music written to contain wording and themes to support the storyline. So, to take a bunch of otherwise unrelated songs and craft a storyline from them is much harder. But in this instance, the end result is nothing short of excellent. I doubt there is anyone who doesn’t like the songs by ABBA so anyone seeing this show is sure to come away singing Mama Mia, Waterloo, Dancing Queen, S.O.S., The Winner Takes it All, Voulez Vous, and I Do, I Do, I Do plus others for days afterwards.
Both shows have national touring companies so if you get a chance to see either of them, do so. And if you have any Ukrainian friends, take them along too.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home