Perham Odyssey

Saturday, June 11, 2005

I'm still shakin' my head over this one.


Over the last 40 years or so, I’ve been asked to show my Social Security card to some official entity, oh, maybe once. Consequently, I haven’t gone to all that much trouble keeping it in a safe place where I could get to it on a moments notice. In the Great Republic of Texas, if you want a driver’s license, you need three forms of identification, one of which MUST be your Social Security card. I had found my passport, I had found my birth certificate, I had even found my Selective Service registration (Draft) card which somehow had avoided being burned back in the ’60’s. But my Social Security was no where to be found. So, off I went to the main Social Security office here in downtown Austin to get a replacement card. Now you must understand that the only previous experience that I’ve had in going to Social Security offices was in California a few months ago when we were signing Margaret up for her benefits. The first time I went there to get some information for her, I was the only person in the waiting room. Hmmmm, no long lines to stand in. This is great. Ok, so fast forward to this last Thursday when I went to the office here in Austin. I got there about 1:30 in the afternoon and was greeted by a “Take a number” machine. I took a number and sat down next to a woman. Through casual conversation, I determined that she had been there since 10:30 that morning and her number was 52. The number being “served” at that moment was 18. My number was 93. OK, let me repeat all that: the number being served was 18. Her number was 52. She had been there since 10:30 and it was now 1:30. My number was 93. Guess what? I Left.

Upon relating the story to Margaret upon returning home, she suggested that I go to another office in a smaller town in the area in the theory that maybe it wouldn’t be so crowded. So, I looked up the various offices in the area and found one about 25 miles away. Well, I thought, it’s a bit of a drive but maybe I’ll have better luck. So, off I went on Friday morning. I got there near their opening time and again took a number. But, much to my delight, I found that they had a special line – no number needed – that was just for people that needed to get a replacement card. I immediately jumped into it and 45 minutes later I was homeward bound, proof of Social Security status in hand, suitable for DMV purposes. Thank you, Margaret, thank you thank you thank you.

Now here’s the interesting thing. Guess what the ONLY I.D. was that I had to show to get a replacement Social Security card? My California driver’s license. Makes you wonder, doesn’t it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home